Eclipse vs. Netbeans

Since there is no good feature rich natively compiled IDE for java on linux, at least no free one, I have been using Eclipse. I have been overall happy until recently when it's performance seems to be degrading quicker than a copy of windows 95. First of all, it's plugin model sucks. The dependencies are not all worked out and the plugins often depend on one another. When this happens they are all in different packages. It makes no sense to offer a plugin that doesn't work, which is the case unless you install other plugins to make it work. It's automatic update feature slows the program down on startup by default and installing the updates is a risk because they aren't well qa'ed in my opinion. Netbeans plugin model is much better. However, it lacks some of the features I have come to like in Eclipse. I have found it to be more stable. I like the subversion and cvs plugins for Eclipse better. Netbeans gives me an ugly red error at the top of each of my .jsp pages for some reason, though if I ignore that the code checker is actually a little better and faster for .jsp in Netbeans than eclipse, whose WST plugin is part of the dependency nightmare for Eclipse's plugins. I like Eclipse's refactoring better than Netbeans. Also, they have saner templates than Netbeans for creating new modules. I toyed with Kdevelop, but it's really not there at all for java, vi would be better. I've been fighting this battle for the last couple of weeks and it's a little frustrating. We'll see what wins out. Currently I'm using Netbeans for basic editing with code completion and opening Eclipse to do special things and hoping it doesn't break while I do it.

Comments

Mountain Wizard said…
Update: I finally figured out that there was a problem with the early versions of jdk 1.6 for 64-bit machines which was causing my trouble. I upgraded to the newest version and Eclipse worked well again. (I also upgraded to the newest Eclipse.) Maybe it's just due to familiarity, but I do feel Eclipse is the better product.
Unknown said…
I prefer NetBeans, I found it easier to get started with the IDE, Eclipse was a bit intimidating. I started out with Eclipse, but only for a few days before trying out NetBeans and settling with it.
I'm no power user, so I don't have a say on which is more advanced or have better features.
Anonymous said…
I have been developing in Eclipse since the early days, and before that Visual Age, JBuilder, Visual Cafe, and J++ (from Microsoft). I have had numerous problems with NetBeans each time I tried it over the years.

Currently I am using both Eclipse and NB6.5Beta. The NB RCP rocks. I'll never give Eclipse RCP a second thought. Eclipse background compile is fantastic, and a critical error in the NetBeans approach. Nevertheless, NB6.5Beta has some fantastic features, Matisse, integrated profiler are great. Still buggy with things like refactoring modules and renaming modules, but overall fantastic and currently an essential component of my repertoire. I'll never bother with Eclipse RCP, that's for sure.

Popular Posts