Using my tax refund

I've decided to put my refund to work and be a good citizen by putting more capital into the economy. Really, our deck out back was looking a little bad and the stairs had no spindles on them, so the kids were a little at risk. We're taking down the stairs and closing it in for now, replacing all the unkempt, partially rotten deck boards with new, pressure treated ones. Perhaps when we get our "economic incentive" check we'll extend the deck. The contractor says it could increase the value of our home by as much as 20k for just a 2.4k investment. Not bad in my book. I love decks. Probably because I love grilling, but also the view from out back is awesome. I can see the whole valley and most of the town from our deck now converting to a balcony. You can see the steeples of 5 churches from there. One of them has a bell tower that tolls on the hour during daylight and plays a song at noon. Every morning we wake to birdsong. I can't tell you how much I've enjoyed this move. We'll have been here for a year coming up soon and I have loved it. I hope I can always keep my work from home job, 'cause there are no programming jobs here and few IT jobs at all. If I have to move eventually, I'll still enjoy it while I can.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I still haven't decided how to use my refund. A big part of me wants to save it, since the economy is going to get worse before it gets better. With food prices up, that extra money might be welcome in a couple months.

Another part of me wants to buy a Garmin 495 GPS. :-P
Mountain Wizard said…
I've also had occasion to long for the GPS unit, and a digital camera, and a new laptop so I can work away from home. Still, I think after we buy a play set for the yard, that's all we're getting out of this refund. Maybe a fire pit too, we'll see how things play out. We have a little bit of food stored up, but more certainly wouldn't hurt anything.

Popular Posts