Signs of the Times

This morning in family scripture study we were reading from Doctrine and Covenants section 45.  During the last couple of weeks I've been feeling the urge to make a study of the Signs of the Times and fulfillment of prophecy concerning the times in which I have lived and am living.  The parable of the fig tree listed in that section and also in Matthew 24 came to mind and it feels like to me that it's not the beginning of summer anymore but very close to harvest time.  I feel like I should be prepared with an understanding of what has been prophesied and be able to teach it to my family so we can recognize the fulfillment of the prophecies as they happen.  In particular this morning the scourge of disease verse had me thinking of Ebola.  I guess any prophecy about disease is easily fulfilled with new diseases coming out all the time and any prophecy about earthquakes is easily fulfilled as those are happening all the time also.  Is it due to greater communication that we know about these happening, or is that in itself the fulfillment of prophecy;  Not that there will be wars and rumors of wars, diseases and earthquakes in divers places, but that we will hear about them instantly in real time 24/7?  When you deal with prophecy making absolute judgments of what is a fulfillment of prophecy is folly.  However, you can see where things might be a fulfillment of prophecy in many cases.  




39 And it shall come to pass that he that feareth me shall be looking forth for the great day of the Lord to come, even for the signs of the coming of the Son of Man.


40 And they shall see signs and wonders, for they shall be shown forth in the heavens above, and in the earth beneath  (D&C 45:39-40)

I want to be prepared.  I want to prepare my family.   I know I've got a bunch of things to work on.  I can only hope for the grace of an Almighty God through the great Atonement of Jesus Christ to help me as I can't do it myself.  I want to be one who "waits upon the Lord".  I hope that he comes to me and abides with me.   I hope to hear his knock and let him in.  As much as I'd like to recognize His hand in the world, I need His hand in my world more.

So anyways, I'm going to follow that feeling and begin / continue a study of the prophecies of my day in hopes that it will be of value to someone, if not just to myself. 

Comments

Popular Posts