Small Things

A very small thing can start a great good or a great evil.  Abuse of a child can be propagated through generations, can be used as rationalization for greater evil.  A word of kindness can be remembered and used as inspiration for any endeavor.   When we believe that we are in control of things, the acts of good we do change us for the better.  When we believe that we are not in control, every little evil can bring us down and become our own demons, which we will release upon the world.  May I seek always to bring good into the world, to endure the little evils that tempt me toward self-pity and self-indulgence and to strive to find the good everywhere.

I am grateful for the gift of choice that I have to attempt to inspire and do good, rather than wallow in the self-defeating fatalism of woe due to focus upon the evils of my circumstance.   My circumstances will always contain evils, but always contain hope, if not always peace.  I have the choice to do good and be kind regardless of circumstance.  May I always take that choice.

Comments

Popular Posts